Your interest in serving your community through
volunteering your time to Fauquier Family Shelter Services is greatly
appreciated. Help is desired on both a regular and an as-needed
The Volunteer Application Form
is available for on-line submission.
Information Packet and Volunteer
Application Form is available for download.
Here are some of the ways that we may utilize
- Day of Caring - Participating through United Way, this is a
day spent at the shelter helping out in a lot of different ways.
- Typing - Helping out with correspondence in the office.
- Filing - Assisting in organization of documents.
- Database - Data entry
- Quarterly Newsletter - Addressing and sorting
Duties may be as diverse as selling tickets, contacting potential
donors through mailings, manning a booth at the festivals, or baking
- Charity Auction
- Mass Mailing during late November
- Spring Festival
- Hoofin It for the Homeless
- Mothers Day Brunch
This is an especially great opportunity for creative people (or for
those of us who WISH we had that special talent and just want to try
- Plan and supervise fun, therapeutic activities for children
who are in the shelter and transitional program
- Music appreciation
- Arts and crafts
- Special occasion parties
Life Skills Classes:
Instruction includes the following subjects:
PLEASE NOTE: This opportunity requires a dedicated individual.
- Money management
- Simple meal preparation
- Job interviewing skills
- Building self-esteem
- Dressing for success
- Health maintenance
- Personal hygiene
- Goal setting
Everyday Practical Skills for Adults:
Child Tutor/Preschool Programs:
- Obtaining a GED
- Getting a driver's license
PLEASE NOTE: This opportunity requires a motivated individual with
experience in child care and child development. Volunteers may be
requested to run a program for two nights a week, for three consecutive
- Assist student in homework assignments
- Develop and run educational programs for children in shelter
and/or transitional house
Child Care Provider:
- Provide child care to clients who have children so that they
may attend life skills classes
- Assist with general maintenance and repairs
- Painting on an as-needed basis
- Landscaping in the spring and summer around shelter grounds
These are just a sampling of the areas you may be interested in.
Come and serve on one of these worthwhile committees!
We hope this has been of assistance to you in identifying how you
would most like to volunteer your valuable time to Fauquier Family
Shelter Services. However, if you are interested in donating you
time in an area not described in this packet, please contact the
Shelter staff to discuss your idea. We are driven by the inspiration
and dedication of our volunteers, and, in truth, could not function
Whatever your interest or skills may be, there IS an opportunity
for you to make a difference in the community through volunteer
work at Fauquier Family Shelter Services.
The Volunteer Application Form
is available for on-line submission. The Volunteer
Information Packet and Application Form is available
for download in PDF format.